Monday, October 25, 2010

When we listen

This weekend was crazy. It was the juniors retreat at camp so I was counseling, and the speaker was none other than Ben Woodward, who I've come to really love. The coolest thing ever happened on Sunday morning when he was speaking. What he was talking about was listening to God speak to us, mostly by our thoughts or pictures in our heads. During the talk, after a few little exercises, he pointed at me and said, "Stephen, I'm going to use you as an example, is that all right?". I agreed. He said, in front of the 80 or so people, he wanted everyone to pray to God to give them encouraging words to give just to me. So people did that, and listened for answers; and some of the things I was told were pretty personal, yet so great to hear. Some things people thought of were "fire" and "mighty", but it was really some of the leaders that really encouraged me the most. Two people told me verses, one of them was Isaiah 40:30-31 which is:

"30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

The next one was really encouraging too, and it's cool because the person who told me this had completely forgotten about this verse - Psalm 51:2:

"2 Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."

It sounds weird, but this is exactly what I needed to hear.
God is never ceasing to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment