So during the past week we've been giving each other "kaleo names". These are names describing things about us that people see in us that, but also things to grow in to. The name I was given a few days ago is "Vulnerable". Here is the reasoning I was given:
- People can tell I have great things in my head but don't always say them
- What I say can be wise and when I talk, people listen
- The group wants to hear who I really am, and for me to share I need take the risk to put myself out there
- I know how to be a good friend, but to receive friendship better I need to open up more
I can't really say I didn't see this type of name coming. I did.
I really like this name.
I am trying to grow into this name already, but it's no easy task. Staring in about grade 8 I just starting looking for things I didn't like in myself and trying to "fix" them. It started with being annoying to everyone around me, so I pretty much stopped talking to avoid this. Obviously this turned me into a very quite, reserved person. I've been trying to change this ever since.
Trying to learn to open up to people is no easy task. It means making myself vulnerable to them. It's good to get this name because now I know that people actually do want me around and want to hear from me. It really means that people are inviting me to open up to them and that they really want to hear what I have to say, which is great.
However, this name means I need to start making myself vulnerable to everyone. This means being bold, with the chance of being shut down. This means speaking up, when what I have to say doesn't necessarily want to be heard. This means making myself vulnerable in front of God too, which is never an easy thing to do when it's such a broken person in front of his almighty and perfect creator. This means stepping up my faith and being bold in that too, sharing the gospel without fear.
I have my work cut out for me.
Overall, this is the perfect name for me.
Great name man. Being vulnerable is being free in a lot of ways. This will definitely help you get really deep in all your relationships. I want to encourage you, when the messy people we are gets exposed it can be hard to trust other people not to reject us. At Kaleo, you are safe. And maybe you'll learn what I am learning, that love has nothing to do with how messy or clean we are. So yeah man, sounds like your fellow K8s really blessed you with that name. And for the record, I really did enjoy being around you and I always enjoyed your words so please be vocal. Cheers man.
ReplyDelete